Monday 17 May 2010

Week 28 - only four weeks to go before lift off!

A busy week but not much running.
I did get my regular Winter Hill - Belmont - Winter Hill run in on Tuesday.
Wednesday and Thursday were spent on a Wilderness First Aid Course in the Peak District. My personal first aim was to increase knowledge which could reduce risk should I have a mishap on the walk. Although this was not the course's main objective, it was very useful to meet up with a group of people with much mountain experience. Many on the course were renewing their certification so already had a good base knowledge. The bonus was getting myself trained up should I need such skills whilst out walking or running or marshalling. I now possess certification which covers me for three years. I would heartily recommend the course if you have any involvement with the outdoors. It is very good value. Below is a photo from their facebook.



Rather than staying overnight I drove each day (googlemaps showed the journey as 75 minutes, because of the time of day I allowed 105 minutes). My plan was to do the Haigh Hall Road Race on Wednesday night but by 7 o'clock I was going nowhere on the M60. My drive home eventually took about two and quarter hours - no chance of getting to the registration which I knew was a good ten minutes from the race start, and even if I did I would not be very fresh for the race.

I managed to get a 4 mile hilly road run on busy Saturday schedule prior to a very long walk on Sunday (see separate post) which gave me 42 miles and 9600ft ascent for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment