Monday 17 May 2010

Week 27 - Wray Caton Fell Race

I'd not really planned to do so much mileage on the Sunday - at least it was a variable pace, some hard running to get quickly to certain points on the route followed by rests and slower paced running.
I had planned to run the fell race that coincides with the Wray Scarecrow Festival on Bank Holiday Monday as I have done many times over the years.
Last year I completed it in 67:30 and about a minute quicker the previous year so I hoped for some improvement.

We arrived at Wray in good time (it can take an age to get into the village as the Scarecrow festival is very popular) and safely - just - a pigeon had decided to have an argument with the car on the way up the M6. It won't be arguing again.
Hovering round the institute were names from the past : Neil Wrigley, Allan Blinkhorn and Trevor Dibben. It seems the weather is bringing people out to run.

Seemed to have quite a decent run. Was only overtaken by seven on the descent (10 actually but got three back after the bridge), to finish in under the hour, 59:30 according to the results although my watch said 59:54! As last year's time was 67:30, I can't complain about that. Neil was well in front but did manage to beat Trevor and Allan.

So that's 18 miles and 3100ft towards my May target - but I am looking for 30,000ft of ascent this month so need a few long days.

Wednesday's run was my regular run over Winter Hill to Belmont and back again over Winter Hill. I sort of did the same on Saturday but planned to walk over and run back. In between there would be a little matter of competing in the Belmont Winter Hill Race, only four and a half miles but as it climbs Winter Hill twice manages 1000 ft of ascent. There is a flattish middle section which although runnable is also called The Swamp. No matter how dry the weather has been, it is always wet and muddy. You will always see at least one runner getting very muddy having lost their balance in the bog.
I found myself gaining about 20 places on the first climb, followed by my usual losing of them and more though the swamp and on the descents.
After collecting my backpack from the pub, I then headed back up Winter Hill again and home to give me 16 miles and 2800 ft of climb for the day and 35 miles and 6600 ft ascent for the week. I seem to be getting behind with the mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment