Saturday 5 December 2009

Howgills, Dec 4th

Friday looked to be the only day which would combine a free day and a reasonable weather forecast. No problems on the M6 so I arrived and parked up in Sedbergh at 10am. The temperature showing was -1°C. Usually my hands lose circulation in the cold so I needed to get going pretty quickly. Halfway up the slopes I had to remove my gloves: it was a glorious day and a steep uphill climb is the best way of generating heat. A few photos taken in the excellent light and a elevenses on the top of Arant Haw.


Continuing the path to Brant Fell and the Calf, the cloud came in and all of a sudden the sun was gone - gloves back on. The upper slopes had garnered a light covering of snow but walking was still extremely pleasant with none of the recent gale force winds to battle against. A view was lacking however. I descended then cut across to Crook before finding a path back down towards Sedbergh. However as it was still early afternoon, I decided I had time to get some more climbing in so headed back up the valley of Settlebeck Gill and then a steep climb back up to the main path towards Arant Haw and a cut back to the top of Winder before returning to Sedbergh. Route calculated at about 10 miles with 3200ft of ascent. Next photos are on the way up to The Calf with the final one from there.



No comments:

Post a Comment