Friday 5 February 2010

A new month, getting lighter

Now into week 14 of the training schedule and into February. If I don't get up too early, can have breakfast in the light and staying light in the afternoon until 5pm so longer walks can be considered. Oh and I'm getting lighter as well :-)
I'm still getting most of my mileage in through running at the moment but I've recently taken on creating online versions of some 20 mile walking routes. As they have not been updated for 15 years, someone will have to walk them to determine what has changed as far as car parking, bus routes, pubs/cafés or even paths themselves which occasionally get diverted. Why not me? Although it would be useful to do them accompanied - I'm sure I can find someone to help me.
Started this week on Tuesday with a long run. The plan was to do about 20 miles taking in parts of the Anglezarke Amble route. The weather was pretty atrocious. I was waiting for the rain to clear as promised so didn't set off till lunchtime. Somehow I managed a couple of wrong route choices around Belmont which added extra mileage and time so decided to adjust the route. My choice of route was limited due to the reservoir wall being rebuilt so ended up continuing to where I'd planned to get (Slipper Rowe), but 40 minutes late. Rather than come back via White Coppice, I chose to come back from Great Hill via Spittlers Edge and Georges Lane - bad choice - it may be a bit shorter but it was so waterlogged that I expect it took me as long, if not longer. So in the end I got my distance in, but in a much slower time than I had planned.
The snow came back on Wednesday evening, with the result that the roads were so dangerous that my table tennis match was called off. By Thursday morning though it looked fine to get a run in. Decided on the Belmont Route. Fine early on, then Burnt Edge posed problems - the thin layer of snow concealed glass-like ice. One I'd got past the north facing edge which sees no sun, it was okay but rather than continue down to Belmont I decided to turn round, head back down the mast road and then do another rep back up the mast road - speedier way of gaining both mileage and ascent (and with rarely any traffic).

No comments:

Post a Comment