Thursday 18 February 2010

Anglezarke Amble, Feb 13th

Got there in good time (by my standards). Got my tallycard, dumped my holdall, tightened my shoelaces and headed outside with the clock showing two minutes to eight. There were still a few in the hall. To my surprise everyone had already been allowed to start. So had to navigate my way through the throngs of walkers for the first half mile or so. Eventually caught up with JtE somewhere near the start of the Chinese Gardens and then YJ, NLN and NicO just before Georges Lane.
With my renowned descending ability (lack of), thought it wise to push on a little towards the mast and NiCo duly passed me on the descent. Thought NLN was also there but apparently not. We regrouped on the road although YJ had yet to arrive.
Chatted with a very experienced hallenge walk/runner down from Northumberland enjoying the event. He was looking for 5hrs 40 so wondered if my target of five hours was a bit optimistic.
YJ had not got back to us, so continued to run with NicO and NLN. A mile or so from Darwen tower, I decided to oush on but whilst at the checkpoint taking refreshments, they arrived and zoomed off. Caught them up on the way to Slipper Rowe and got in and out of the checkpoint quickly with a cup of tea as well. They had just about caught up but I then decided it was time to push hard on the way up to Great Hill, slightly hampered as I now had to pass those who were on the shorter route, sometimes on narrow paths. White Coppice checkpoint seemed to take an age both in the clippering and the refreshments but I think it was wise to take in as much as possible. NicO and NLN had slipped to the checkpoint and skipped the refreshments to overtake me. They seemed to be miles away but I eventually caught up with them approaching Anglezarke Reservoir. Suggested we should blast it to get inside 5 hours but they were wise enough to know it wasn't on (I had an extra two minutes to play with). Didn't make it but quite happy with 5:05, especially as I still felt quite tired after my high mileage earlier in the week. With a bit slicker "transitions" at the refreshment points, I might have sneaked it.
No chances of taking any photos but it was a very fine day for the event, although there was one hairy descent between Belmont and Strawbury Duck on which no grip was possible due to the ice.
Big thanks to NicO and NLN for ensuring I didn't blow up - there were points in the first half where I could have pushed on but I know I would have paid for it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment