Wednesday 7 July 2010

A minor setback

According to Paul Lucia's book, yesterday was expected to be the hardest day of the GR10. But he'd not taken into account a diversion due to fallen trees that added at least 40 minutes and his route didn't follow the ridge route unlike the actual markers on the ground. Some superfluous markers caused about 20 mins of investigation then finally on the very long descent to Fos, a diversion had been but in place, presumably because there were so many fallen trees. I'd already had to find my way under two with the second necessitating removing my pack which weighs currently probably over 18KG.
After 7.40am start and by lunchtime being 30 minutes up on Lucia's schedule, I eventually arrived in Fos at 7.20pm, very tired, thirsty and very hungry.
Then the problem. Once I'd stopped, I realised my right ankle was now screaming at me. So today has been a rest day. I've actually walked to the next village so done 70 minutes of the 6hrs40 schedule. Last night I dined with a party of four Yorkshiremen served by a lady from Stockton on Tees; Home from home. Bet the one Frenchman in the restuarant thought he was abroad.
So big thanks to the owners of Le Gentillhommiere in Fos for helping me out with icebags.

Today I'm writing this from a lovely little hotel up the road in Melles - 31440 - the Auberge de Crabere. Tel +33 (0) 5 61 79 40 49.



Tomorrow I shall complete the day and hopefully will be just be one day behind. Luckily I have a day to spare and as long as I can manage my ankle may even recover that day, especially once I've sent home up to 6 kilos of cqmping gear after the Ariege in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment