Friday 4 June 2010

One week to go

It's now a case of going through the checklist.
Training - all done and happy with it. I'll finish off with Duddon Fell Race tomorrow, but just the short one of nine miles. I'll then amp overnight to test out of the tent and stove and may walk the route of the full Duddon Fell Race on Sunday with my full pack. This will give me about 30 miles and 9000 foot of ascent in two days - the biggest consecutive two days in the GR10 schedule give 28 miles and 10050ft of ascent (7500 ft descent) or 23 miles and 10800ft ascent (but only 6000ft descent).
Tickets- all trains and Paris hotels booked; also a booked five nights accommodation on the GR10 route.
Equipment - all done - will test out this weekend.
Fundraising - coming along nicely - now at about 50% of target - hopefully the target will be reached whilst on the walk. I aim to update the blog where possible, e.g. St Jean Pied-de-Port, Luchon, Cauterets. Merens, Arles-sur-Tech.

2 comments:

  1. I’ve just come across your blog and wanted to wish you good luck – and good weather. I’m currently staying in the Spanish Basque country, about 60 km south of Hendaye and there has been a great deal of rain this last month. On the other hand, the countryside is a vivid emerald green.

    I saw that you were thinking of buying a GPS. Did you get one in the end? I imagine its too late for advice but my experience might serve for someone else. I’ve had a Garmin Etrex Summit for years. It was great for the GR10, but I needed 10 Bayo CDs as well, at 40 euros each. I’ve just invested in a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, and a CD for the whole of Spain (I need to save up for France). This is greatly superior, as you can download the maps to the GPS. You can still get lost, but at least you know exactly where you are! It also works better in bad conditions (in forests or narrow valleys).

    How much weight are you carrying? When I did the GR10, I met serious walkers carrying anything from 6kg to 24kg. Increasingly I am heading for the 6kg end of the scale, with associated smells, and narrower safety margin. I figure that as long as I stay on a path somebody will come along sooner or later to rescue me.

    I’ll look out for updates.

    Steve Cracknell http://www.pyreneanway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you realise I'm catching up on comments; hope to be below 10KG after Ariege.

    ReplyDelete