Monday 18 January 2010

Week 11 - The Snow Goes On .. then finally starts to thaw

First run of the week was on Tuesday and do I could get the height gain I decided to have a go at my Belmont Loop. Burnt Edge was very challenging but at least a few more had trampled through the snow. The mast road was the better option rather than off road and even that was no longer used by vehicles from half way up. A bitter easterly wind had arrived which made it very cold on the top. down the ramp heading for the Wrights Arms, I had realised that an ascent of the north slope would be out of the question so turned right when the Bolton-Belmont Road was reached and returned via Scout Road. Very challenging but at least I'd got my 11 miles but with less climb - 1300ft.
Next attempt was Thursday. Again same outward route. The wind of Tuesday had gone but the visibility was poor. I'm used to having to avoid being run over by cyclists on Winter Hill (shame that they cant read the no cycling signs) but this time I'd stopped on Burnt Edge in an attempt to take some piccies, turned round and there was a skier hurtling down at me.
When I say attempted, for some reason my phone camera was in video mode - a bit difficult to tell in such an envronment. anyway i've edited what was filmed into something which will give you an idea over a few seconds:


Reached the mast, down to Belmont and up the Rivington Road before tuning onto the fell to climb back up to Winter Hill masts (the outward run on the Belmont Winter Hill Race route for those who know). About half way up, realised that it was no fun trying to clamber through the two foot deep snow - it really slows you down - and thought what if I fell and broke my leg - what's he chance of getting medical help quickly in such a desolate expanse. So decided to turn back down at return using the route I'd descended on (checkpoint 2 to 3 on the Full Winter Hill Race route). Just before I got back to the road, flying down the hillside comes my GP with his two dogs on a quick lunchbreak run! Well, I think he still holds the club marathon record so he's not a bad runner! Nice to have company back into Belmont, thanks Ian. Eventually home in well over three hours but at least I got an extra couple of miles and an extra 500ft of climb.
Friday - thaw at last.
Saturday - over to Blackpool for the Mid Lancs Cross Country. The thaw had meant it was now a muddy course with negligible climb.
Sunday had originally been planned to be the two Crosses Circuit which would have given me 25 miles, but the decision was made on Tuesday night to postpone until March on the grounds of Safety.
So, instead, a walk with Julie and the dog around Rivington before lunch in the Barn, and then walked back home via Georges Lane - still very icy in parts - to finish the week on 37 miles and 4100ft of ascent, near enough on target.

No comments:

Post a Comment