Wednesday 6 January 2010

Week 10 - A very snowy week

Rested on Monday after a decent run on Sunday then on Tuesday when had a foot of snowfall which didn't exactly make you want to get out. Wednesday morning and clear skies so I thought I do my Belmont route again. The first mile was much quicker as the new snow had made it much easier to run than the slippery ice that had formed by Sunday. Good grip for the studs. Went off up past Montcliffe Quarries GR SD660120 and onto the footpath where the going got a bit tougher as no-one had been there since the main snowfall and it was about 18 inches deep but still okay. On to the junction near Burnt Edge and the fun had begun. Drifting had cause 3 foot hurdles to be run through but still not bad as the weather was bright. Onto the path which is parallel-ish to the mast road, virgin snow, greyed over and driving sleet into your face so that visibility was rapidly reducing - a good job I'd run the route so many times before. Made it to the mast road : a snowplough had just gone down, so it was a good surface with just enough snow for grip. Onto the mast road with a few walkers going past. At the end I could see that nobody had been on the track to the Wrights Arms (San Marco?) so decided it would be wise to turn round once I'd looked at my watch to see I was 20 minutes slower than Sunday despite being 2 minutes quicker on the first mile. I suspect the climb up from Blue Lagoon would be very slow. So a nice quick blast back down the mast road along George's Lane and towards Austin's Farm where I decided I would get a bit extra in by doing some reps up the fields.
Below are a few shots from Tuesday morning 6 hours before the snow stopped coming down.



No comments:

Post a Comment